(Little Failed attempt of) Chawanmushi the Japanese Egg Custard!

This post is kinda rubbish. 
Never liked steamed egg. Tasted plain, and it was always mommy's choice of dish when she had nothing else to cook. *_*

Came across the term when my little nephew Qian Qian ordered one cup and one cup of it in Sushi Zanmai. And later on when I witnessed how LinRu ate it like it's the most delicious thing in the world during the last buddy line gathering in the same shop :O
-- What it had shrimp inside it? :O #seafoodloversyndrome

And look - his passion. And how the beautiful thing should look like =.=

So I came back and googled for chawanmushi recipe and felt like ohmygodd am I for real finding recipes and cookbooks =.= Lol just felt like kononnya wanna learn how to cook right hahaa partly because it looked easy and I THOUGHT i had the ingredients all available at the kitchen at home lol

So I googled and found the recipe from Justonecookbook.com and yeahh quite amazed at how organized recipes are now on blogs and website :) Weird though, had always searched for computer-related tutorials about softwares and all :s Oh yea and also a Youtube video showing you step-by-step *amazed* :s

Disclaimerrrr - this is absolutely not a recipe to follow lol. I am a first timer in cooking alone!

So on the beautiful morning when I was a bit hungry - I picked two cups and got ready some mushrooms and soaked it in water - until it's soft and yeah I kept the water. Well according to the recipe I should be adding in dashi (stock) until the dashi + the soaked-mushroom-left-over-water should be = half cup. So I quickly read through the cookbook's guide on How to make dashi from various ingredients and found out "Oh. I can make the thing by simply using the dashi powder!", which mom had always used to cook dishes and hmmm. Come on it's easy! Looked for it in the fridge, kitchen, racks. Called mom.

"Mom! The powder you always used for seasoning. where is it?"
"It finished off. WHAT ARE YOU DOING in the kitchen?"
"Am hungry. Wanna cook something." (And I'm unaware that this sentence had made daddy buy two packets of nasi lemak for my breakfast for the following days X_X)
"Ohh. You can use the fine sugar powder in the kitchen. It produces the same effect."
"Okayy bye :)"
*Smiled not because I wanna use the sugar powder for chawanmushi (it sounds insane?) but because as I talked on the phone i found a bottle of magical miso salt appearing in the fridge :O*

Happily took 1 teaspoon of it and added hot water in it. Ergh. Now it had the same colour as the leftover-water-from-soaking-mushroom. Must be quite correct then? Added the two thing together. Stirred. Hmmm some of the particles in the water looked like it can't quite dissolve @@

Oh yeaaa shrimp how can I forget thatttttt Went to the freezer to take out two little victims for my chawanmushi. Let them swam in the water while I cut my mushrooms into pieces. Took two eggs out and recalling carefully how much mom had used when she made steam egg.
I remembered she used only one for a big bowl of steamed egg. No?
So I broke off one egg into a bowl. Added in seasonings. Added in the dashi thingy. And freaked out.

The colour was almost chocolate. Urghhh.
Is this even edible later? =.=

Bravely broke off the other egg, stirred in seasoning and added it in the big pot of unknown mixture. Thinking "well however it is later on I'm gonna eat this all up anyway =.=". Peeled off the shrimps. Put the mushrooms and shrimps into the cups. Poured the mixture in.

Impatiently waited for the water in the rice cooker to boilllll

Put the cups in and waited againnnn

I lost count of how long did I steam the thing. Well. but luckily the final product is really edible if these are not taken into account:::
1. Eating tofufa kinda mixture (ehh how is the texture like in Japanese restaurants can't remember @@)
2. Eating really egggggyyyy kinda taste (I think it's because I put in two eggs?)
3. Eating realllyyy shrimpyyyy kinda shrimp (Yea I know. Didn't do anything before hand. Mom says I should put in some sake kinda thing first to steam it before putting the poor thing into the eggg mixture)
4. Eating the chawanmushi till the end and have your teeth stucked with some brown salty particles. Pretty gross? Hahaa surprise! It's the non-dissolving miso salttt @@

1. Just thought the shrimps are pretty.
2. Just thought the egg is pretty too.
3. The before.
4. The after! Sorry some holes are man-made while I poke my chopstick in =.=


Huaaaaa but nothing beats the successfull feeling of eating the things you cookeddddd (Said by the first timer who felt too good of herselfff)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Dwing,
    I know. Do you think I would ask you to make cakes for me if I can make it nicely on my own? There's a reason behind it hew hew

    ReplyDelete

It's up to you to say now.